The Geography minor provides breadth in human and biophysical geography and GIScience. This minor complements many other programs, including Geology, Environmental Studies and Science, Public Policy, Planning and Management, Anthropology, Computer Information Science, and more.
To understand how the minor might enhance your current studies, and for questions about the requirements, contact the Undergraduate Advisor, Dr. Leslie McLees, at email@example.com. Appointments can also be made online here or you can attend drop-in hours. For Spring 2018, drop-in hours are Thursdays, from 11:30-12:30 in Condon 107C.
To complete the minor, students will take six courses (24 credits), including three breadth courses: one GIScience course, one upper-division human geography course, and one upper-division biophysical geography course. An additional three courses (12 credits) of elective credits are required.
At least 16 credit hours in Geography must be taken for a letter grade, and a grade of C- or better (or P pass) is required in all Geography courses. At least 16 credits must also be taken as upper-division courses (300 or 400-level). Up to two courses towards another major or minor may be used towards a geography minor.
See the Preliminary Course Offerings for 2018-2019, a.k.a. the Pink Sheet, to see what we expect to offer during the academic year.
- Breadth Requirements (3 courses, 12 upper division credits)
With roots in exploration and travel, Geographers traverse a wide range of topics and specialties. Here, students will gain the necessary breadth to put all the pieces together. Choose one course from each of the following.*
- Biophysical Geography
- Human Geography
*Please see the Geography Class List (found online at geography.uoregon.edu/undergrad/minor/) or in the Geography Department office (Condon 107) for courses that fulfill breadth requirements.
Electives (3 courses, 12 credits)
Students can take three courses from any geography course to fulfill the elective requirements. To see the list of courses see the Geography Class List.
- Elective 1
- Elective 2
- Elective 3
Geography minors should be aware that there are pre-requisites that they need to take into consideration as they plan their schedules, including:
GEOG 141 is a pre-requisite for 300-level physical geography courses
GEOG 481 is a pre-requisite for most other GIS courses
Check the Geography Class List to see how courses are categorized.
To add or drop the Geography minor:
- Fill out this interactive form
- To email it, don’t save the form, but print it as a pdf and email an unsigned form to the geography undergraduate advisor (firstname.lastname@example.org) with subject line “GEOG change” from your email address (which acts as a signature to verify you want this change).
- The subject line must read exactly as stated above to ensure accurate receipt.
- You may also print out a signed paper copy and bring it to the Geography office in Condon 107.
- New minors are strongly encouraged to make an appointment with the Geography advisor, Dr. Leslie McLees, through this online scheduler.