The undergraduate adviser in Geography and Spatial Data Science and Technology (SDS) is Dr. Leslie McLees. Her office is located in Condon 107C. You may sign up for an appointment to speak with Dr. McLees via the online scheduling portal: https://uo.campus.eab.com/
Winter 2019 drop-in advising is from 2:00-3:30 on Thursdays. You do not need to make an appointment to stop by.
The above scheduling portal is a new system through Navigate (formerly SSC). Please follow the instructions below to make an appointment.
- Click: Schedule an Appointment (a blue button on the upper-right)
- Select a type of appointment you are trying to schedule. To meet with Dr. McLees, select General Advising
- Under “What type of advising are you looking for?” choose from the drop-down box.
- Under “What is the main topic you hope to discuss in this appointment?” chose from the drop-down box.
- A general go-to is Academic Advising. While I have a lot of options to chose from, if you chose one that I do not offer (or is not on the list) then my name will not come up as an option. If you chose academic advising, then I will!)
- Chose Geography as your location from the location/department drop-down box.
- Under “Select who you would like to meet with or click to see “all availability” pick your only choice, Leslie McLees.
- Pick your date and time.
- Click the blue Confirm Appointment button at the bottom right of the page.
Questions about the major requirements, course schedules, concentration options, honors and thesis options, and scholarships should be directed to the advisor. It is recommended that all Geography and SDS majors and minors see the adviser upon entrance to the program. Please check the Frequently Asked Questions link on the sidebar to the right to see if your questions are addressed.
Prior to your advising meeting, please come prepared by completing the following:
1. Review the major requirements
Read over the Major Checksheet front and back, including GPA minimum, concentration options (for Geography), honors requirements, and minor/double major requirements. Be sure that you are aware of these requirements prior to your meeting.
2. Update the major checksheet
Complete or update your Major Checksheet (see below) with the courses you have taken or plan on taking. Please note that students entering the Geography major beginning in the Fall 2016 term have a different checksheet than those who entered prior to that term. Bring this sheet with you to your advising meeting.
3. Review your Degree Audit Report
Review your Degree Audit Report on Duckweb to make sure that your personal checksheet matches university records. If there are any discrepancies or errors, bring a copy of this report to your meeting. For help in understanding how to read your Degree Audit, the General Advising Office has a useful YouTube video.
4. Read any other background information relevant to your questions
If you are thinking about an internship, study abroad, a double major, honors or any other program possibilities, read the appropriate material prior to your appointment.
Declaring the Major/Making Major Changes
Fill out this interactive form, print, and sign and bring to the Geography Department office in 107 Condon or email an unsigned form to the geography undergraduate advisor with the subject line “GEOG change”. The subject line must read exactly as stated above to ensure accurate receipt.
Major checklist (the “Green Sheet”) for planning your major.
- Spatial Data Science & Technology (SDS) checklist
- For students beginning before Fall 2012: Geography Major Checklist
- For students beginning Fall 2012 and later: Geography Major Checklist (2012)